Children Struggling with Multiplication? Free (and safe) Game Download You’ll Love!
A couple years ago I scoured the web seeking a computer-friendly (virus free), budget-sensitive, kid-likable tool to rope my son into WANTING to practice his multiplication tables. We all know our kids have great potential, but if they refuse to sharpen a basic skill like multiplication that potential will never be realized. Talk about frustrating!
Somehow (and to be quite honest I don’t remember how) I stumbled onto Big Brainz’ Timez Attack, which at the time seemed to good to be true (and it still does!). The site allows you to play for free as long as you desire. If your kids take to the game, you can then download (and subscribe) to the full download, which will provide your children with the full Timez Attack experience. My kids begged me to get the full version. I was so excited to see them both take to a learning game. Given I only have two kids though (who are just 17 months apart), I probably could have done without purchasing the permanent download. It might have been enough to have purchased the 3 month paid version. Then again, I have put my son on the game even now, as a 6th grader. He benefits from re-visiting his multiplication facts, while my 4th grader has them mastered. We’re all unique in how we learn, retain, and experience the world around us. So I chalk up the differences in my children to nothing more than that.
If you are on a budget (who isn’t?), why not try the free version of Timez Attack? Your child will have the experience of the Timez Attack dungeon where he/she will no doubt get hooked on solving basic multiplication facts. If he or she (or they!) love the game as much as my kids did, you may decide you have to have more rooms (5 additional adventure-levels) to explore. For just $20 you can have full access to Timez Attack for a full 3 months, which is more than enough time for a child to master their times tables. We purchased permanent access to the game a couple years back and have since acquired the division game too.
Since we originally downloaded Timez Attack, Big Brainz has come out with a division game and an addition and subtraction game download. The division, like the multiplication game is available in both FREE and paid versions. The addition and subtraction games are currently only available for FREE. Can’t complain about that!
What we like about Timez Attack:
- The graphics are exceptional quality
- The music doesn’t grate on your nerves (mommy approved)
- The theme of the game is fun
- There is a lot of repetition, especially on unmastered facts
- Even on the free version, you’ll find multiplication facts 2-12
- Money back guarantee
What my son didn’t like:
- My son hated that he only had a certain amount of time to answer a question. When I was a kid multiplication tests were always timed. I think his anxiety over time limits has more to do with his high anxiety, asperger’s syndrome, and ocd than a true flaw in this game’s teaching/learning design.
Additionally be aware:
- After my kids mastered the various levels of the game, they lost interest. This isn’t a game they’ll play for months and months. Especially if you have other video games in the house. Kids will always gravitate towards the games that don’t require a lot of cerebral activity. This is just to be expected.
- Since kids are all different, you really should start with the free version of any Big Brainz game download. If they seem excited like mine did, you may later decide it’s worth the money. Honestly, if they take to the game it IS WORTH THE MONEY!
We’ve never played the addition or subtraction games. They didn’t exist when my kids were learning those skills. I’d love to hear from you if your child has benefited from either game!
Have fun and a very blessed learning experience!
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!